The United States was attacked four times in World War II

It is widely accepted by most Americans that the United States was spared the flames of war during World War II. However, according to Naval History magazine, of the four attacks on the U.S. mainland by Japanese and German submarines during World War II, which was the most serious?
The first military base in the United States to be attacked by the Japanese
On June 21, 1942, shells were heard over Fort Stevens, Oregon, on the Pacific Coast of the United States.
Fort Stevens is home to the 249th Shore Artillery Regiment, whose guns are hidden in coastal forts. At 23:00 on June 21, the sound of sharp shells and explosions awakened the sleeping American soldiers. The original attack was carried out by the Japanese navy submarine I-25.
The Americans poured out of their dormitories and rushed to their emplacements to load their guns. They were using the old M1900 254mm shore gun — the only thing still in use at the time was the Home Defense. Still, the 249th Coast Defense Artillery Regiment did not get flustered because they were well trained and had frequently practiced rapid targeting and shelling of moving targets at sea. After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the U.S. military stepped up its homeland defense training, and the 249th Coast Defense Artillery Regiment was tasked with guarding against Japanese warships or submarines. The U.S. military had predicted that the Japanese submarines, which were extremely stealthily capable of threatening American shores.
The first shell fired from the I-25 submarine landed 4,000 meters away from the American artillery position, leaving a crater about 1.5 meters deep in the ground. The Japanese gunner then adjusted the Angle of fire and the second shell came closer to the American position. The loud explosion woke the residents of the coastal town. Some Americans ran to shore, and some could see the Japanese submarine floating on the sea with their naked eyes.
The officer on duty of the 249th Coastal Artillery Regiment shouted to his men and women on his walkie-talkie, “Has anyone seen the Japanese ship? Measure the range immediately and return fire!” But the commander, Colonel Dhoni, coolly corrected the officer on duty, saying, “First find out and locate the exact position of the Japanese ship before firing. Don’t fire easily! Do not expose our position!”
As one U.S. artillery officer recalled: “We eventually locked on to the Japanese submarine — the fire from the onboard guns gave away its position, and it was within range of the shore guns. We immediately adjusted our guns for a counterattack. But eventually the submarine slipped away — its shelling lasted only 10 minutes before we could return fire.” No one was hurt in the attack, which left the U.S. fortifications and radio stations unscathed.
Fort Stevens was the first U.S. military base to be attacked by The Japanese since the outbreak of World War II. To the surprise of the AMERICANS, the Japanese submarines seem to be getting the benefit. More than two months later, on September 9, 1942, the I-25 again prowled the Oregon coast. This time it did not use artillery, but sent a small floating spy plane it carried and dropped incendiary bombs on the American mainland, setting off a forest fire with limited damage.

She lost $500 in her first attack
Before the I-25 attack, the first Japanese submarine attack on the United States was on Feb. 23, 1942 — the first foreign attack on American soil since the Revolutionary War. It was a civilian facility, not a military base.
Elwood Oil Field, located off the coast of Santa Barbara, California, was silent at 19 o ‘clock on the same day. Apart from a few workers on duty, the whole coastline was deserted. Suddenly, out of the water not far away, a huge black shape emerged. A few minutes later, bright flashes of light burst from the back of the “leviathan” and the roar of shells approached The Elwood field.
The mission was carried out by the Japanese submarine “I-17” under the command of Kozo Nishino. The submarine was the main Japanese ocean-going submarine in World War II and its main weapon was a 140 mm cannon.
According to U.S. military records, several oil workers at Elwood saw the tanks explode during the shelling. At first they didn’t think it was a military strike, they thought it was an explosion in an oil storage tank. Soon, the workers found a “flash in the sea,” which is when they knew the enemy was approaching.
Fearing a US naval attack, the I-17 set fire to several oil tanks before hastily sinking to evacuate.
In hindsight, the shelling only caused about $500 in damage to the Elwood field. It was a little-known attack in World War II history, known as the “Elwood Incident.” Although the damage on the U.S. side was negligible, the west Coast of the U.S. was in a panic that Japan might invade. To some extent, the United States has strengthened its coastal defenses.

Strike back and shred enemy submarines
In WORLD War II, German submarines were more “successful” than Japanese submarines.
At 17:00 hours on 5 May 1945, the commander of the German submarine U-853, operating off Rhode Island, looked through his periscopes and spotted the American transport ship Black Spot. At 1740 hours, the commander of U-853 gave the order to fire torpedoes at the transport Ship Black Spot, whose stern was broken off and in which crew members were killed. The stricken transport soon began to take in water and sink, and the captain immediately gave the order to abandon ship. In the end, the transport capsized, killing 12 crew members.
The U.S. Coast Guard frigate USS Mobile, 48 kilometers south of the crash site, received a distress call after the incident. At 1930 hours, more than 10 United States Navy and Coast Guard vessels arrived and immediately began a dragnet search. At 2014 hours, the sounding sonar of the USS Atherton picked up traces of U-853.
The USS Atherton had been ordered to strike back and tear up any enemy submarine that dared to challenge the United States. In just five minutes, the Ashton dropped 13 magnetic depth charges, but could not determine whether the target was a German submarine or a shipwreck on the sea floor.
At 2343 hours, u-853 was re-detected by the sonar of the destroyer Atherton. Approaching the target, the Destroyer Atherton attacked again, dropping depth charges. Bubbles, oil, and wood chips were rising from the water, indicating that u-853 had been hit, but it was still moving.
At 1 am on 6 May, the frigate “Mobile” took over from the destroyer “Atherton” and moved into the attack position to continue the annihilation of the enemy submarine. Unbelievably, the sonar of the frigate Mobile showed that u-853 was still moving.
At around 2 a.m., the frigate “Mobile” dropped a barrage of anti-submarine hedgehog shells on u-853’s position. After this attack, u-853 finally stopped moving. Despite this, American commanders ordered more depth charges to be dropped to ensure that the enemy submarine was completely blown up.
At 1230 hours, a US army diver dived into the water for final confirmation. He reported that U-853 had been destroyed and all its crew killed.
Because the battle took place off the coast of the United States, the German operation was seen as an attack on the American mainland.

error: Content is protected !!