Tetraethyl orthosilicate (TEOS), also known as ethyl silicate, is a colorless, odorless liquid with a boiling point of 160-165°C. It is a versatile chemical with a wide range of applications.
One of the most common uses for TEOS is as a cross-linking agent for silicon rubber. Cross-linking agents are used to increase the strength and durability of rubber by forming bonds between the polymer chains. TEOS is a particularly effective cross-linking agent for silicon rubber because it is able to react with both the silicon and oxygen atoms in the polymer chains.
TEOS is also used as a modifying agent for organic and inorganic resins. Modifying agents are used to improve the properties of resins, such as their hardness, toughness, and flexibility. TEOS can be used to modify a wide variety of resins, including epoxy resins, polyester resins, and polyurethane resins.
In addition to its use as a cross-linking agent and modifying agent, TEOS is also used as an inorganic binder for refractory fillers and pigments. Refractory fillers are used to improve the heat resistance of materials, while pigments are used to add color to materials. TEOS can be used to bind both refractory fillers and pigments together, creating a strong and durable material that can withstand high temperatures.
TEOS is a safe and effective chemical with a wide range of applications. It is used in a variety of industries, including the construction industry, the automotive industry, and the electronics industry. TEOS is a valuable tool for manufacturers and engineers who need a versatile chemical that can be used to improve the properties of a wide variety of materials.
Tetraethyl orthosilicate (TEOS)
Tetraethyl orthosilicate (TEOS), also known as tetraethoxysilane, is a colorless, odorless liquid that is used in a variety of applications, including the production of glass, ceramics, and semiconductors. It is also a precursor to other chemicals, such as ethyl silicate and tetraethyl lead.
Structure and properties
TEOS has the chemical formula Si(OC2H5)4. It is a clear, colorless liquid with a faint ethereal odor. It is miscible with water, alcohols, and ethers. TEOS is a flammable liquid with a flash point of 54°C (130°F). It is also a strong irritant to the skin and eyes.
TEOS is produced by the reaction of silicon tetrachloride with ethanol in the presence of a catalyst, such as triethyl phosphite.
TEOS is used in a variety of applications, including:
- Glass production: TEOS is used as a flux in the production of glass. It helps to lower the melting point of the glass and to improve its workability.
- Ceramic production: TEOS is used as a precursor to silicon dioxide in the production of ceramics. It helps to improve the strength and durability of the ceramics.
- Semiconductor production: TEOS is used as a precursor to silicon dioxide in the production of semiconductors. It helps to improve the electrical properties of the semiconductors.
- Other applications: TEOS is also used in a variety of other applications, including:
- Etching: TEOS is used as an etchant in the semiconductor industry. It helps to remove unwanted material from the surface of a semiconductor wafer.
- Coatings: TEOS is used as a coating in the aerospace industry. It helps to protect the surface of aircraft from corrosion and weathering.
- Water treatment: TEOS is used as a flocculant in the water treatment industry. It helps to remove suspended particles from water.
TEOS is a hazardous material and should be handled with care. It is flammable and can be irritating to the skin and eyes. When working with TEOS, it is important to wear protective clothing, such as gloves, goggles, and a respirator. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area.
TEOS should be disposed of in accordance with local regulations. It is important to consult with a waste disposal company to determine the best way to dispose of TEOS.
Features and uses: Mainly used as optical glass, chemical-resistant coatings and heat-resistant coatings and adhesives.
Packaging, storage and transportation: Finished products are packed in 5KG, 10KG, 25KG, 200KG plastic drums, other specifications need to be ordered.
|English name:||Tetraethyl orthosilicate|
|Physical and chemical properties|
|Nature description:||Colorless transparent liquid. Miscible with ethanol and ether, insoluble in water. It is stable in the absence of moisture and does not decompose during distillation. Water gradually decomposes into silicon oxide.|
Features and uses : Mainly used as optical glass, chemical-resistant coatings and heat-resistant coatings and adhesives.
Packaging, storage and transportation : finished products are packed in 5KG, 10KG, 25KG, 200KG plastic drums, other specifications need to be ordered.