Allyl glycidyl ether (AGE) is a chemical compound with the formula C6H10O2 and the CAS number 106-92-3. It is a clear, colorless liquid with a characteristic odor and a boiling point of 154 °C. It belongs to the class of epoxy compounds, which have a three-membered ring containing an oxygen atom and two carbon atoms.
AGE is mainly used as a monomer for the synthesis of polymers by anionic ring-opening polymerization. This process involves the opening of the epoxy ring by a nucleophile, such as a metal alkoxide or an amine, and the formation of a new carbon-carbon bond. The resulting polymers have pendant allyl groups that can be further modified by various reactions, such as cross-linking, grafting, or functionalization.
Some of the advantages of using AGE as a monomer are:
– It is readily available and relatively inexpensive.
– It has a high reactivity and can be polymerized under mild conditions.
– It can produce polymers with a wide range of molecular weights and architectures, such as linear, branched, star-shaped, or hyperbranched.
– It can impart desirable properties to the polymers, such as thermal stability, mechanical strength, adhesion, biocompatibility, or conductivity.
Some of the applications of AGE-based polymers are:
– Adhesives: AGE can be used to prepare epoxy-siloxane adhesives by hydrosilylation of siloxanes with AGE in the presence of a platinum catalyst. These adhesives have excellent adhesion to various substrates, such as glass, metal, or plastic.
– Electrolytes: AGE can be used to synthesize polymeric electrolytes for lithium batteries by copolymerization with ethylene oxide and lithium salt. These electrolytes have high ionic conductivity and good thermal stability.
– Coatings: AGE can be used to produce coatings with anti-corrosion and anti-fouling properties by copolymerization with acrylic acid and quaternary ammonium salts. These coatings can prevent the growth of bacteria and algae on metal surfaces.
In conclusion, AGE is a versatile monomer that can be used to create various polymers with different properties and applications. It is an important building block for polymerization and offers many possibilities for innovation and development.