3-(2-Aminoethylamino)propyldimethoxymethylsilane (CAS No. 3069-29-2), also known as 3-(2-Aminoethylamino)propylmethyldimethoxysilane or N-[3-(Dimethoxymethylsilyl)propyl]ethylenediamine, is a colorless, strongly alkaline liquid with amine smell that is very sensitive to hydrolysis. It is a diamino-functional silane coupling agent that can provide good adhesion and superior elongation and flexibility at the polymer-substrate interface.
Applications of 3-(2-Aminoethylamino)propyldimethoxymethylsilane
3-(2-Aminoethylamino)propyldimethoxymethylsilane (CAS No. 3069-29-2) can be used as an important additive in many applications, such as:
- As an additive in cold-curing phenolic and furan foundry resins to improve the flexural strength of sand/resin elements with very long shelf life of the resins.
- As a primer or additive in adhesives and sealants based on PVC plastisol, polyurethane, or epoxy systems to promote adhesion between glass, mineral and metal surfaces.
- As a modifier in phenolic and epoxy molding compounds to enhance the mechanical properties and thermal stability of the composites.
- As a crosslinker or co-monomer in organic polymers to improve the water resistance, chemical resistance and thermal stability of the polymers.
Properties of 3-(2-Aminoethylamino)propyldimethoxymethylsilane
3-(2-Aminoethylamino)propyldimethoxymethylsilane (CAS No. 3069-29-2) has the following physical and chemical properties12:
|Molecular weight||206.36 g/mol|
|Density||0.968 g/mL at 20 °C|
|Boiling point||146 °C at 15 mmHg|
|Flash point||90 °C|
|Refractive index||1.450 at 20 °C|
|Water solubility||860-1000 g/L at 20 °C|
Safety and Handling of 3-(2-Aminoethylamino)propyldimethoxymethylsilane
3-(2-Aminoethylamino)propyldimethoxymethylsilane (CAS No. 3069-29-2) is classified as a hazardous substance according to the GHS classification criteria. It has the following hazard statements and precautionary statements:
- H317: May cause an allergic skin reaction.
- H318: Causes serious eye damage.
- P280: Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.
- P305+P351+P338: IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.
3-(2-Aminoethylamino)propyldimethoxymethylsilane (CAS No. 3069-29-2) should be stored in a cool, dry and well-ventilated place, away from heat, sparks, flames and incompatible materials. It should be handled with care, avoiding contact with skin, eyes and clothing. It should be used only in a well-ventilated area and with appropriate personal protective equipment.
3-(2-Aminoethylamino)propyldimethoxymethylsilane (CAS No. 3069-29-2) is a silane that is used for the derivatization of silica with aminoethyl-propylsilyl, AEAPS, groups. AEAPS groups are used to modify the surface properties of silica and can be used to make silica more hydrophilic, hydrophobic, or ion-exchangeable. 3-(2-Aminoethylamino)propyldimethoxymethylsilane is a versatile silane that can be used for a variety of applications. It is used in the production of chromatography columns, membranes, and catalysts. It is also used in the modification of silica for use in analytical and biomedical applications.