Triethoxyvinylsilane (TEVS), also known as vinyltriethoxysilane, is a silane coupling agent with the chemical formula H2C=CHSi(OC2H5)3 and the CAS number 78-08-0. It is a clear, colorless liquid with a boiling point of 160-161 °C and a density of 0.903 g/mL at 25 °C.
Silane coupling agents are organosilicon compounds that can form covalent bonds between organic and inorganic materials, such as polymers, metals, ceramics and glass. They can improve the adhesion, compatibility, dispersion and stability of these materials in various applications.
TEVS is a vinyl-functional silane that can react with resins that are reactive towards the vinyl group, such as acrylics, epoxies, polyesters and polyurethanes. It can also hydrolyze to form silanol groups that can bond with hydroxyl groups on the surface of fillers or substrates.
Properties and Benefits of TEVS
TEVS has several properties and benefits that make it a useful silane coupling agent for different purposes. Some of them are:
– It can act as a cross-linking agent for polymers, enhancing their mechanical, thermal and chemical resistance.
– It can modify the surface of fillers or substrates, improving their wetting, dispersibility and adhesion to resins.
– It can provide an insulating layer with good dielectric properties on metal surfaces.
– It can increase the hydrophobicity and water repellency of materials.
– It can reduce the viscosity and improve the flowability of resin formulations.
Applications of TEVS
TEVS has a wide range of applications in various industries, such as:
– Coatings: TEVS can be used as an additive or a primer for coatings on metal, glass, ceramic or plastic surfaces. It can improve the adhesion, corrosion resistance, gloss and durability of the coatings.
– Composites: TEVS can be used as a coupling agent for composites made of polymer matrix and glass fiber or mineral fillers. It can enhance the interfacial bonding, mechanical strength, thermal stability and flame retardancy of the composites.
– Adhesives and sealants: TEVS can be used as a cross-linking agent or a modifier for adhesives and sealants based on acrylics, epoxies or polyurethanes. It can improve the curing rate, cohesion, adhesion and flexibility of the adhesives and sealants.
– Rubber: TEVS can be used as a vulcanizing agent or a filler modifier for rubber products. It can improve the cross-linking density, tensile strength, elongation and abrasion resistance of the rubber.
– Photodynamic therapy: TEVS can be used to encapsulate photosensitizers such as protoporphyrin XI or methylene blue. These encapsulated photosensitizers can be injected into tumors and activated by light to generate reactive oxygen species that kill cancer cells .
Triethoxyvinylsilane 78-08-0 is a versatile silane coupling agent that can be used for cross-linking and surface modification of various materials. It has many properties and benefits that make it suitable for different applications in coatings, composites, adhesives, sealants, rubber and photodynamic therapy. If you are interested in learning more about TEVS or other silane coupling agents, please contact us today.