Scrambled eggs with tomatoes, stewed beef brisket with tomatoes, salad tomatoes… Tomatoes are so versatile in the kitchen. When cooking, just cut a tomato and throw it in to give the dish a unique flavor. If you are too busy to cook, you can eat it raw. It is simple, quick, sweet and sour.
In addition to being easy to eat and loved by people, some people think that tomatoes are rich in vitamin C, and eating more can lead to whitening. Some people even say on the Internet that “a tomato a day, whitening for 7 days” and “a tomato, whitening a summer”… really Is that so? Are tomatoes really so amazing?
Can it really whiten your skin?
The answer may disappoint you, no. Although tomatoes contain vitamin C, it does not mean that eating them will whiten your skin.
First of all, the vitamin C content of tomatoes is not high, only 14 mg/100 g, which is not as high as that of Chinese cabbage, only 37% of that of Chinese cabbage.
Secondly, although vitamin C can inhibit the activity of tyrosinase and inhibit the conversion of tyrosine into melanin, this is mainly for external use. There is currently no evidence that vitamin C taken through food can also whiten.
Therefore, if you want to whiten your skin in summer, you must rely on sun protection. As for tomatoes, it is still recommended that you eat them. It is best to make tomato sauce to improve the absorption and utilization of lycopene. Although you cannot expect to whiten your skin by eating it, some studies have mentioned that daily intake of a certain amount of tomato sauce can significantly reduce the incidence of sunburn in women and protect the skin.
In addition, although the vitamin C content of tomatoes is not high, if we can eat a tomato every day, it can also provide us with 14% to 28% of vitamin C. The most valuable thing is that tomatoes can be eaten raw directly, avoiding the The loss of vitamin C caused by cooking.
On the market, there are also some tomato varieties with higher vitamin C content for you to choose from. For example, the vitamin C content of Chuntao persimmon is as high as 34.17 mg/100 g. Adequate vitamin C intake can help us maintain normal immune function and protect skin health.
Therefore, although a tomato a day will not make you “white for 7 days”, it will have other unexpected benefits for the body.
Nutritional advantages and health benefits
Tomatoes are also called tomatoes. In fact, they were originally shrubs that grew in the desert areas of the west coast of South America. At first, the fruits were small and tasted very bitter, which was not delicious at all. Later, Mexicans began to cultivate tomatoes. After a long period of changes, tomatoes have become a popular food all over the world. my country is the largest producer and consumer of tomatoes. In addition to vitamin C, what other nutrients does such a popular ingredient have?
1. Mineral Potassium: The mineral potassium content of tomatoes is not bad, 79 mg/100 g, which is higher than that of Chinese cabbage. It is a food with high potassium and low sodium, which is very helpful for controlling blood pressure.
However, researchers from Sun Yat-sen University recently published a relevant study on the relationship between eating tomatoes and blood pressure. This study shows that there is an inevitable relationship between tomato intake and hypertension. Intake of 10 to 13 grams of tomatoes per day has the lowest risk of hypertension. This amount is equivalent to eating about one regular-sized tomato per week. As for the reason why eating too many tomatoes has a negative impact on blood pressure, the study analyzed that it may be related to the solanine in tomatoes.
If you have severe high blood pressure and are particularly concerned about the results of this study, eat one tomato a week. If you are healthy and have no blood pressure problems, there is no need to limit yourself to one pill a week. One pill a day is perfectly fine. Pay attention to a variety of foods and prevent high blood pressure in many ways.
2. Carotene: The carotene content of tomatoes is 375 micrograms/100 grams, which is nearly 5 times that of Chinese cabbage. This ingredient is great for our eyes and skin health.
3. Lycopene: Lycopene is a kind of carotene. This ingredient has antioxidant properties and can help us remove excess free radicals in the body and keep people younger; it can also help our body fight inflammation , enhance the body’s oxidative stress ability, help maintain normal immunity; it can also protect cardiovascular health, reduce serum total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (bad cholesterol). In addition, some studies have mentioned that increased serum lycopene concentration is negatively correlated with collagenase N-terminal peptide (a marker of bone resorption), which can reduce the risk of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.
The key point is that the calories in tomatoes are really low. You can consume only 15-30 kcal of calories if you just eat one raw. The feeling of fullness is still strong, which helps to control appetite and is very friendly to friends who lose weight.
How to buy delicious tomatoes
Many friends will complain: “Today’s tomatoes are not tasty, they don’t have that taste anymore.” The taste of the current tomatoes is indeed not as good as before. This may be because many growers regard the yield and transportation resistance of tomatoes as the main goal, and Ignoring the improvement of taste and flavor, most of the current tomatoes have high acidity and hardness, and lack sweetness and aroma.
The taste of tomatoes is affected by many factors. If you want to buy delicious tomatoes, it is recommended to refer to the following aspects.
1. Planting environment: The flavor of tomatoes cultivated in the greenhouse and in the open field is significantly different. Illumination is the main environmental factor affecting secondary metabolites such as pigments and flavor substances.
2. Season: Tomatoes grown in spring contain more reducing sugar, vitamin C, and lycopene than tomatoes grown in autumn and winter. The composition and content of volatile matter are also richer, and the overall flavor and acceptability are relatively better.
3. Maturity: During the ripening process of tomatoes, regulated by many transcription factors, subcellular physiological changes and the action of ethylene, a series of changes will occur, the color of the fruit will deepen, and the content of β-carotene and lycopene will gradually increase. Accumulation, metabolism accelerates, volatile substance content increases, and the flavor gradually improves. Therefore, the more ripe tomatoes, the better the flavor.
If the tomatoes you buy are a bit tough, you can let them sit at room temperature. Tomatoes are climacteric fruits that can ripen themselves.
4. Storage conditions: If the bought tomatoes are stored in the refrigerator, the flavor will decrease. This is because low-temperature storage of tomato fruit can cause DNA methylation, resulting in lower volatile matter content and lower flavor.
If the tomatoes are still relatively firm, they can be stored at room temperature; if they are a little soft and difficult to consume within a day, they can be placed in a breathable box and refrigerated in the refrigerator.
5. Variety: Different varieties of tomatoes have different flavors. Researchers have conducted experiments on the flavors of nine different varieties of tomatoes: Provence, Antles, Youshi No. 3, Agatha 505, Tianmi 199, Hangfen High Sugar, Xiangfei No. 9, Peruvian Mifen, and Shuutaro. Sensory evaluation.
The results show that: in terms of aroma richness, Agatha 505, Hangfen High Sugar, and Xiangfei No. 9 have the highest scores, and Provence is also acceptable; in terms of taste, Provence, Agatha 505, Hangfen High Sugar, and Xiangfei No. 9 have the highest scores. Fei No. 9 is very good; in terms of pulp fineness, Hangfen High Sugar has the highest score, followed by Xiangfei No. 9, Provence, Antles, and Agatha 505; in terms of juice content, Provence and Agatha 505 have the highest score. , Air Powder High Sugar, and Xiangfei No. 9 are all good.
Therefore, after comprehensive consideration, among the 9 varieties, the most recommended are Hangfen High Sugar, Xiangfei No. 9, Agatha 505 and Provence.
This is because unripe green tomatoes contain higher solanine, also called solanine, which will gradually decrease as the maturity of tomatoes increases. Eating unripe green tomatoes is likely to cause poisoning, with symptoms such as abdominal pain, tinnitus, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. In severe cases, it can lead to difficulty breathing or even death.
You can’t eat these tomatoes
Tomatoes are delicious, but don’t eat them randomly. Don’t worry about tomatoes purchased from regular channels on the market. They are only sold on shelves when they are ripe. However, if you grow tomatoes at home, don’t eat them if they are still green and not ripe (except for green varieties), as they may cause poisoning.
This is because unripe green tomatoes contain higher levels of solanine, also called solanine, which will gradually decrease as the tomatoes mature. Eating unripe green tomatoes is likely to cause poisoning, with symptoms such as abdominal pain, tinnitus, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. In severe cases, it can lead to difficulty breathing or even death.
A tomato a day is not only good for health, but also increases appetite, so why not do it.